Thursday, May 12, 2011

Time... what's that??

When I quit my job in November to be a stay at home mom I thought I would have so much extra time on my hands that I wouldn't know what to do with it all.  And that was the case for about a day and a half!  I would like to say that it was not all self inflicted but that would be a lie.  I found myself taking on tasks that were really meant to glorify me, make me feel useful or important.  That's not the reason I quit my job in the first place.  I quit my job so that I could be here for my husband and daughter full time.  This blog post is a sort of "re commitment".  I need accountability from people who read this blog, I need someone to say "Kristan, have you read a bible story to Brooke today?"  I need someone to say "Kristan, when is the last time you said something encouraging to your husband?" 
Don't worry, I'm not putting all the responsibility on you and taking none for myself!  I have recently deactivated my facebook account.  That was crazy!  I have received as many phone calls and texts in the two days that I have been facebook free as I used to get in status comments!  People just don't seem to understand that for me Facebook was almost like an addiction.  I would wake up in the morning and immediately reach for my phone to see what happened in FB land after I went to sleep, and what had happened to those souls who woke up before me.  I would spend hours a day looking at the never ending threads of comments left on mine and other's posts.  I would have a thought or hear a quote and immediately think to myself "wow that would make a clever facebook comment".  It was ridiculous!  My poor husband and daughter would be talking to me and I would literally not hear them because I was so engrossed in what I was reading on facebook.  My husband works crazy long hours and when he is home he would want my attention, naturally!  Well that was fine, I had no problem giving him my attention.... as soon as I finished the comment I was making, or reading the rest of the thread I had started a half hour earlier.  I would take any opportunity to sneak a peak when he would leave the room for even a minute.  That my friends is as much an addiction as drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes!  After several long conversations with a good friend who was also struggling with the same issue I decided it was time to rip off the proverbial band-aid and get rid of facebook.  I thought it would be hard.  I thought I would miss it, I thought I would think about it day and night, wondering what everyone was saying or doing.  It has been much the opposite.  I realize now that before it was a burden to always feel the need to know what 200 + people were posting to the Internet, then wondering what their friends had posted about those posts and so on and so on.  After I clicked the "deactivate" button it was like an instant sigh of relief left my chest.  I no longer have that burden, I no longer know or care what everyone has to say about every waking moment of their lives.  I no longer know or care what all their friends have to so about their every move!  It's GREAT!!!
Now I'm not judging those who still have facebook.  I don't think it is an addiction to everyone and I have seen many cases of ministry happen in my own life due to facbook so I'm not advocating that everyone get off facebook.  I'm simply stating that in my own life I felt this is what the Lord was telling me.... if you are spending more time doing anything, weather it be facebook, blogging, reading, watching tv.... whatever, if you are spending more time doing anything other than worshipping, glorifying, and praising Me, then I am not your God.... all that other stuff is your god.
OUCH!  Yeah it's time to make some changes!
Be Blessed Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment